Mexico 2006  
Home PageAbout UsMexicoServicesSite MapRoad Trip SouthMexico 2007 / 2008Mexico To Samoa 2008



 What a whirlwind of activities this past 3 months.  In summary we had a family meeting and voted that we are having so much fun out here cruising that we decided to sell the farm (sort of speak) I flew home the middle of April, met with a realtor and put our newly built home on 15 acres on the market to sell. I flew back down to the family that stayed in Marina Mazatlan one week later. It was time to leave Mazatlan and do the two day passage across the Sea Of Cortez to La Paz, Baja. After a couple of days waiting for the entry to the marina in Mazatlan to open due to high Southerly swell causing breaking waves across the opening, we got the green light from the Port Captain. Leonard on Vale Cache went through it first and called us on the radio and said to just gun it and push your way through. We did just that, it was a bit of a white knuckler, but we did just fine. Right behind us were our friends Chris and Robyn on the sailing vessal Robyn's Nest, a wonderful 35 foot Island Packet. They did just fine, it was a bit scary looking going through it with the swell breaking on both sides of us as we threaded through the middle of the non-breaking swell. It was just 30 minutes later we heard the Port Captain get on the radio and announce that once again the opening to Marina Mazatlan was closed due to high swell. We settled into a nice motor sail with the auto-pilot doing what it does best, steer us on an even course to our destination. Two hours out I picked up email and found out that after our house was on the market now for 3 days we had received a full offer without any contingencies. This was a somber shock to us, if it wasn't for our lovely Liberty sailboat we would be a homeless family. We continued on to La Paz anyway. The sail across was a bit bumpy, but we all did just fine. We made a wonderful stop at a very secure and peacful anchorage at Isla Partida. Clystal clear water, white sand, we could even see our anchor. We explored the shoreline, and walked over to a local fishermans primative hut. There were 4 locals there cleaning their catch, we all marveled at the huge 6 foot long squid. The eyes on this thing were the size of large softballs. I asked the fisherman if he was willing to sell us a cut of fresh calamari, he replied with a huge grin, and said no problema. He pulled out his knife and cut us off a slab that was two inches thick and a full foot square, it must have weighed 5 pounds. All he wanted in return was a couple of cold cans of pepsi. That night we had some friends over and we ate fresh calamari and salad, life is good. The next day we went to Costa Baja Marina in La Paz. This is a new marina with lots of wonderful amenities, pools, restaurants, free shuttle service to town, and at a great price to boot. We met up with our friends on Warm Rain Tom and Dawn. They also were from the Blaine marina where we started our trip South. The last time we saw them was in San Francisco. We enjoyed each others company along with Chris and Robyn for a week. We had to cut our trip short now and get the boat back over to Mazatlan and get the Liberty ready for the summer. We found a wonderful local guy that is watching our boat for the summer. We kissed the Liberty goodbye and flew home the second week of May. The past few weeks have been packing, getting moved into an apartment, getting a storage unit, and visiting with family and friends. We have now picked up a great buy on a Southwind class A motorhome that we will make a road trip of going back down to the boat in August. This past week me and the boys went on a nice one week trip over to Bellingham and back home camping through the North Cascades, with a one night stop at the Grand Coulee Dam. We really enjoyed the tour, and the 45 minute lazer light show at 10pm after dark. Poor Yvette has been working back at the hospital in her old position as a critical care RN. She is making some great money for her cruising kitty. We will be looking forward to doing all the major tourist attractions the Southwest has to offer on our way back down to Mazatlan from August through October. We will have plenty of time and only need to average an hour drive a day, to make the 3,000 mile trip. Our plan was to buy the motorhome cheap, and then sell it when we get back to the boat without much of a loss, just the gas. That shouldn't be too much of a problem because we caught a great deal from an elderly couple that sold it to us for only $4,500.00, and only has 35,000 miles on it!! We will be keeping our site a lot better updated now that the frenzy of moving and all is over. We are looking forward to getting back to the boat and enjoying Mexico for another winter season and then in March of 2008 doing the 22 day puddle jump from Puerto Vallarta to the Marquesas. We will take a two year plan to circle the Pacific and end up back in Seattle around August of 2009 or 2010, stay tuned.

mazatlan 006.pngmazatlan 026.pngmazatlan 0281.png

What I do best, staring at the ocean                    Turtles at play                                        Watch your fingers

mazatlan 0571.pngapril-9-07 001.pngapril-9-07 003.png

       That was a full ride                                     The thought of going back to life on land    Tommy and Billy from the Pacific Cloud

april-9-07 006.pngapril-9-07 007.pngapril-9-07 024.png

Bill and Laurie from the Pacific Cloud                     An Easter Spread, YUUM !!                 Robyn tries Yvette's pressure pot bread

april-9-07 023.pngapril-9-07 041.pngapril-9-07 053.png

Leonards a happy man, fresh made bread              Easter eggs on the boat? No Problem              Gotta love Mazatlan

april 20 2007 013.pngapril 20 2007 012.pngapril 20 2007 010.png

   Tom, Joel and Kyle at the pool in La Paz               Again, doing what we do best                          Whos the biggest kid in this picture?


  We are now in Marina Mazatlan enjoying spring like weather. The evenings are cool enough to chase us inside, it is getting down to 72, good grief we are so spoiled. It is 85 by day and low 70's by night, I guess we have just become used to the heat, but we know it is right around the corner in the next month or so. We left Puerto Vallarta two weeks ago after staying there for two weeks. We were waiting for a package to show that had a new handheld radio and some letters in it. It was tracked into Mexico on February the 28th, it has been a month now and it still has not showed up. The lovely Adrianna at Marina Puerto Vallarta is watching for it so she can send it to us via DHL where ever we may be when it shows up. Our first stop out of Puerto Vallarta was only an eighteen mile run to Punta Mita, the North edge of Banderas Bay outside of PV. We never went to shore there but just sat at anchor one evening and left for a little sail up to Chacala about 20 miles North the next morning. Chacala was a very quaint little Mexican Village with a great beach. It is a beach resort town for the Mexicans. We went ashore, checked in with the local Port Capitano and proceeded to find a cool seat under a palapa with cool drinks and Coconut pastries. It was very relaxing sitting there looking out over their little bay with about 15 of us cruisers anchored out in it. The next morning we were getting ready to go ashore when Yvette heard someone on our boat. She went out and checked, there was a nice guy and his older lady friend taking a break from their swim out to our boat. We asked them to sit down and rest and visited with them. They had driven six hours from Guadalajara. He worked at a leather belt factory and were just out for a weekend holiday, camping on the beach in a tent. After about 30 minutes of conversation completly in Spanish they said their goodbyes and slipped back into the water and swam back to shore. We are getting so good at holding wonderfully fun long talks in Spanish with the locals. Their abilty to be so happy and friendly was just amazing to us. They love to talk to us Americans if we can speak Spanish with them as very few know English in these small towns. We enjoyed their ability to be so friendly and polite, back in the States they would have been arrested for tresspassing, they just never mean any harm. We came upon a little sign in front of a house that was a menu for dinner. It said to make your reservations one day in advance, but we were picking up the anchor the next morning. Your choice of Shrimp rellanos, enchaladas or carne asada with beans and rice for $5.00 US(50 pesos). The lady had a little table in her back yard and fixed your dinner in her kitchen. We mentioned it to another couple that had just arrived and they later told us, when we met up with them days later, that it was a great experience and the food was wonderful. We will remember that house when we make it back down there in the fall. The next stop was San Blas, one of the oldest cities in Mexico. We were warned to anchor about a mile off shore because of mosquitos and "no-see-ums"( little fruit fly gnats that are hardly visible and bite like a bee, in the evening hours) Here is were Henry Wadworth Longfellow wrote about "The bells of San Blas". We met up with another couple Cathy and Charlie on  Chere, they are also from Spokane, WA. We all went ashore in the morning and went to town for a nice breakfast of huevos rancheros. We walked the quaint town and met up with a guy that loved to talk about his town and he would love to give us a tour if we would stick around for a couple of days, but we will not be here long enough. We came across a lady selling her tamales in the street, as we went by she hawked, "tamales de res(beef), cerdo (pork) pavo (turkey) and Pina". That stopped me in my tacks, I turned and said, "PINA??" which I knew was pineapple tamales, I said "no way?" She fired back with a smile and said, "here you try". So there we are, on the side of this little street  eating a pineapple tamale that was a huge hit with all of us. We proceded to buy about 15 tamales from her for dinner later that night. That fed six of us for $7.00. They were so good, and we would love to find them again someday.The next day was going to be a tour 'jungle ride" up a river to a crocadillo farm, the boys were excited for that, and we were going to skip a day of school, and they would make it up on Saturday. That night just at sunset the bugs came out, and boy did they. The whole huge bay was engulfed by a huge termite swarm. The little buggers would fly up to our screens in the ports and wiggle their way through the screen, leaving their wings stuck behind. We sprayed the screens and went on an hour killing frenzy, it was pretty ugly. We had to shut all the ports and hatches and learn to live with the warm air instead of the bugs. We decided that night that we were not going to go through this again and elected to forego the jungle tour in the morning and just leave at first light in the morning. In the morning I got up and the outside of the boat was covered by dead bugs and wings. I got the hose out and washed it all off and away we went. We will probably never come back to San Blas, what a shame, it is a great little city, just way to much stagnet bug breeding water around. We all got bit up and itched for days after that stop.  Off to Isla Isabel, dolphins and whales escorted us out. The dolphins were huge bottlenose type and just played at our bow. Every so often one would come up to the surface of the water and look up at us as if to be hoping that we are still there watching them. They are just like kids showing off to us. We came upon two huge humpback whales with a calf just outside of San Blas. We were just amazed when one shot up out of the water just 100 feet off of our starboard beam.  We just couldn't believe our eyes, not everyone gets to see a humpack whale breaching so far out of the water. He/She was the size of a greyhound bus or more and came completely out of the water and landed with a gyser of a splash that was so huge it seemed like an explosion. All four of us were up on the bow and looking right in that direction when he came out, what an awsome sight, that could never be fully put into words or description without actually seeing it. The next twenty minutes were just magical as the three would roll around on their sides and wave their huge 20 foot long fins out of the water as if to be waving to us. Through out that day we saw many more, but never did one breach as that one did for us. Many did however come straight up out of the water half way and then fall to their side with a big splash. We reached Isla Isabel and snuggly anchored right up to two huge pillers of the broken up valcano coldren island in about 20 feet of crystal clear water. The boys up on the bow directed us right over a nice sandy patch and we dropped the anchor. We could easily see the anchor and 100 feet of chain scope we let out. The fish around made us feel like we were anchoring in an aquarium. We spent the rest of that afternoon snorkling with rays and many fishes, the boys even went under the boat and touched the bottom at 15 feet, while I cleaned the prop and bottom. The next morning we woke up and dropped the dinghy into the water and went right up onto the island to explore. Never had we seen so many iguanas, boobies and frigates. It is no wonder why Jacques Cousteau called this island the Galapagos of the North. We spent 5 hours hiking around and exploring. It was amazing how close the nesting birds would allow us to get, they just are not afraid of humans. The following pictures will tell the stories. The next morning we got ready to ride a nice unseasonal Southerly 90 miles North to Mazatlan. We took off around noon and knew that we only had to average 3.5 kts to get to Mazatlan after daybreak the following day. We enjoyed an easy sail North on following smooth seas. Night fell and the stars came out, it was a great beautiful night sail with a partial moon. The boys slept normal hours while Yvette and I took turns sleeping. There was the occasional fishing/shrimp boat to watch and steer clear of, but mostly it was just a great night sail. The next morning at daybreak we were within sight of the worlds highest light house just off of Mazatlan. We could see it 25 miles away, and was amazed at just how bright it was. By 10:00 AM we were in Marina Mazatlan and checked in. Mazatlan looks like a fun, place to explore over the next week or two, the next update will be full of our adventures here. The next stop will be a 35 hour sail West across the Sea Of Cortez to Las Frailes and then working our way up to La Paz and beyond for the next month.

 mazatlankyle 011.pngmazatlankyle 0041.pngmazatlankyle 015.png

    Baby Frigates                                                    National Park, MX             These are big boys, each about 2 feet long

mazatlankyle 022.pngmazatlankyle 027.pngmazatlankyle 030.png

Blue Footed Boobie                                             Baby Frigate                           Male Frigate Decked Out For The Ladies

mazatlankyle 036.pngmazatlankyle 041.pngmazatlankyle 045.png

Crater on Isla Isabel                                     Boobie with her chicks                             Anchored off of Isla Isabel

mazatlan 0071.pngmazatlan 008.pngmazatlan 011.png

Bill and Leonard  exploring Mazatlan with us       Pig Head Soup Anyone?                    Worked Up an appitite, Hungry?



We are still here in Puerto Vallarta, and enjoying getting some maintenance done on the Liberty. She really needed a good bath after being out at anchor and away from unlimited fresh water. The past week has been filled with oil changes, cleaning and provisioning before we start our trip North into the Sea Of Cortez. There was a source of excitement a couple of days ago as there was a crocodile swimming around our boat in the marina. It would appear that the poor wayward guy just lost his way from the golf course ponds not far from here. The locals and tourists were all gathering on the sidewalk to watch the poor thing waiting for the tide to come back up so he could make his trek back to his family. One guy attempted to hook the croc with a line and a big treble hook on it, but every time he would get it close to him he would just jump and try and bite anything in sight. It was quit funny watching all the hoopla about it. I asked a few of the tourists on the sidewalk if they would like to clean our prop, but didn't get any takers. The boys have been doing great with their school work and then around 1:30 everyday they are off exploring and going to the pools and enjoying carefree afternoon swims. We have been talking with the Arnolds on the vessel Fafner every night on our ham radio. They are doing very well, but the winds have been very light. They are about 600 miles from Manzanillo now with 900 miles to go to the Galapagos. Today was one of their better days and they traveled 87 miles in the past 24 hours, they should be there in about 7 to 10 days. Their spirits are up and they are enjoying some very nice flat seas. They ask everyday if we have some ice cream to send them.   

dec through march 170.pngdec through march 222.png

  Joel / Kyle / Clair and Alex and their floaties        Ten feet off of our stern !

dec through march 226.pngdec through march 059.png

The tourists were throwing this guy bread, ya, right!                 Smooooooth anchorage

dec through march 048.pngdec through march 047.png

      Settling in for another peaceful sleep                              Early morning netter catching bait


This past couple of months have been a ton of fun with some great adventures. We took a full day inland trip with a fantastic taxi driver that had just received his Tour Giving card from the University. Memo loves his country and took us to city halls and explained the murals, volcanoes, banana plantations, coffee plantations, coffee "drying/grinding and packaging" warehouse, and even an archeological site. That was the highlight of the day, it was only 10 years ago that this whole ancient rock site was found. There were burial rooms, combats, sacrifice hills and all. Only about 10% of it has been dug up, but they do know it dates back to 500BC. The Colima dog statues that are so popular around here come from that era. We even went to the large city of Colima and enjoyed a great lunch/dinner. We only had to pay for the drinks (about $2.50 ea) and they kept bringing us food while the mariachies were doing competition songs. The food was fantastic, and we left stuffed after the 5 of us paid $15.00 for sodas. Manzanillo/Las Hadas was fantastic, we have enjoyed it here a lot, but 5 weeks at the same spot anchored has been plenty long enough to enjoy. No more than we were getting ready to go our friends on the Fafner, Geoff, Karen and their two daughters Claire 14 and Alex 12 came by to visit us. That was a treat, we have known them since San Diego and have not really had much of a chance to really kick back and get to know each other better. So we decided, what the heck, let's stay put for a bit and enjoy their company. We spent a week with them having dinner together every night and just clicking like old friends, Geoff and I have a lot in common, Karen and Yvette meshed just as well, and the kids, wow, did they ever enjoy each others company. Every day after school around 1:30 the kids would be out of school and swim and play until 6 or 7 when dinner was ready. The Fafners as we call them by their boat name, a mythical dragon, are on a three year around the world cruise. They will be using this place as their "jump-off" place for the Galapagos. It was a bit early for the weather pattern so we talked them into heading back North with us about 35 miles to Tenacatita. Tenacatita is known for whales and a 2 mile long jungle cruise that you can do in your dinghy. They saw the whales on the way in, but we didn't, but we were told they were the biggest and most beautiful they had ever seen, thank-you. One morning we all got our snorkling gear out and off we went to go on the jungle cruise in our dinghies. It is an incredible 2 miles through the mangroves, with tons of wild bird life. There are crocs there, but we didn't see any. We did however get to see a big pink flamingo fly overheard, that was a sight. The trail got very narrow, and of course that is when we came upon a panga boat giving tours, we all slammed off the power and tightly slid past each other. At the end is a little establishment with a few tiendas (stores) and palapas (food/drink spots) We all went snorkling and the marine life was good. There were a ton of stingrays so we were careful where we waded. Swimming with them is no problem, but if you step on one the tail has a venomous spike that is very painful for a few hours. We even came upon a colony of puffer fish of varied sizes just hanging around in a cluster of about 50. Then it was dry off time, tacos and refreshments at a palapa, and back in the dinghy for the ride back. Going back was a blast, we felt like James Bond screaming through the narrow windy jungle passage at break neck speeds, laughing all the way. The next day was pulling up the anchor and heading South 15 miles to Barra Navidad where we spent Christmas a couple of months before. There we spent our days swimming at an old hotel pool and just enjoying the company of many other cruisers. We did find out that the Lagoon anchorage that about 40 of us were anchored in does not hold very well for a CQR or Delta anchor, as many boats dragged their anchor when the afternoon winds kicked up to the 20's. We did fine, our big old 65 pound Bruce was just the ticket for the muddy bottom there. From Barra Navidad we had to say our good byes to the Fafners, it was sad to go seperate ways knowing that we will not see them for another 3 years. But we will stay in touch as they have sailmail through their ham radio like us and we have been able to contact each other a couple of times on the ham radio to see how they are doing. At this time they are 400 miles South of us hoping for more wind as they are only getting in 70 mile days. They should be reaching the Galapagos around the 20th give or take 5 days. We spoke to them last night and they are doing great and spirits are high. We headed back up to Puerto Vallarta to get tied up in the marina. It has been nearly 3 months out on the anchor, a nice dock and a good boat wash will be great. The 19 hour run up against the prevailing Northerlies was OK, we barried the bow a few times into oncoming waves, but the ride was fairly comfortable. The night was fantastic with brilliant moonset at 4AM. We stopped the first night just outside of the marina anchored off of La Cruz. That night while we were getting ready for bed we thought we could hear a coyote up on land. Low and behold we figured out that it was a mother and a calf  humpback close by and the sounds were reverberating up through our hull. We woke the boys and we all layed on the sole boards to listen to them, we all got a big kick out of it. That was fun that night going to sleep being sung to by this pair of whales. We are now presently in Marina Vallarta and having the boat polished and cleaned. Of course the kids swim every day after school, they know all the great places and hotels to go to. We will be here a week, then we will take our time heading North and enjoying a few anchorages on the way to Mazatlan. We will probably be in Mazatlan in two weeks. The boys are excited to stop at an island for a few nights that is nick named the little Galapagos, Isla Isabella. There we will hike amongst nests of boobie birds that are not afraid of humans at all. We are told you can go right up to the nests and pick up the big downy chicks and hold them and then just put them back down and they and their parents don't even mind.

    colimahadas 002.pngcolimahadas 003.pngcolimahadas 008.pngcolimahadas 009.png

        Fresh Bananas                    Story of the Revolution          Yes snow, active valcano on right              Colima Dogs

colimahadas 011.pngcolimahadas 012.pngcolimahadas 014.pngcolimahadas 019.png

Free food with drink!!                  Drive through Cervesa             Joel and Kyle dink sailing            River cruise and no bugs!!

colimahadas 020.pngcolimahadas 027.pngcolimahadas 029.pngcolimahadas 031.png

End of the jungle cruise              Kids having way too much fun         Mary's Birthday                      Carl and Geoff

colimahadas 033.pngcolimahadas 035.pngcolimahadas 025.pngimg_0078.png

Big Sunset-Richard Spindler publisher of Latitude 38 dropped by- Bob/Kay 50th aniv. still sailing-Watch out for the crocs!    


It has been a month since our last update, and what a great month that has been. The Holidays were a lot of fun anchored in a very quiet shallow lagoon along with other cruiser friends. It was a bit hard to get into the Christmas spirit with temperatures in the 80's. We did run about 100 feet of christmas lights all along the lifelines and from bow to top of the mast and down to the stern, along with multi-color lights here and there. The streets in the little town of Navidad (Christmas in Spanish) was full of bright Christmas decorations most everywhere. It was fun in town watching the people bundle up in heavy coats when the morning temperatures would drop to the upper 60's, while we were in our shorts and t-shirts. The little independent sidewalk stores had full shelves of cheap plastic toys and handmade decorations.  Christmas day started with some nice simple presents between the four of us and then getting ready for a potluck dinner around the pool of a very old hotel. Yvette made two loaves of pumpkin bread along with a very yummy crab pasta salad. The hotel cooked up traditional turkeys along with Mexican stuffing consisting of Spanish rice. The cost of the facilities and the main course was $4.00 each. There was nearly 70 of us enjoying some great conversations along with some fantastic foods to choose from. Once everyone was done eating Yvette got all the kids together, about 10 and led them through a number of Christmas songs, what a treat that was, now it finally felt like Christmas. Swimming was on the agenda after dinner on a hot winter afternoon. The kids played and took turns feeding a monkey in a large cage on the grounds, "Gaucho" was very pleased and completely loved the attention and all the food.  After Christmas day other cruisers began their migration further South, everyday 5 to 10 boats would be leaving to continue their trip. We stuck around for a few days and then headed out of the lagoon and North about 3 miles to a nice quiet anchorage off of a small town called Malaque. There were about 5 other boats there and it was good to meet up with our friends Rod and Charlotte along with their two kids Morgan 15 and Carrie 14 on the "Maestra Del Mar" They are from Canada about 200 miles North of Vancouver, both Rod and Charlotte are school teachers. The good news for them is that they are going to be teaching the next two years at a nice upscale American school in Puerto Vallarta, so they will continue cruising until Sept. and then start up again the following summer. It felt good to be out of the Lagoon area and back into nice clear ocean water. We all enjoyed some great swimming and snorkling along with some hikes and exploring. The town was a fantastic trip back into old Mexico, complete with open air markets for fresh produce, meats and any other staple we needed. We found many places to eat some wonderful food at prices that were just so affordable. It was common for us as a family of four to eat out and for only around $10 to $15. We heard about one guy that made a great goat head soup, so we had to check it out. Sure enough deep into one of the food areas was a small booth like kitchen with a large clay crock on a burner and a sign overhead that said "Sopa De Cabra" (goat soup). We were not really interested in trying it, but did want to at least see it. We chatted with the guy for a minute and he tried so hard for us to try it, he even pulled one goat head skull out and placed it on the table for us to see, then much to our humor he pulled out another one and explained to Joel and Kyle that they too were brothers at one time. It did smell good, but we decided it was better to not jeopardize our good health we have been enjoying. We laughed along with the guy, took a few pictures and told our friend later that we couldn't muster the courage to try it. We stayed and enjoyed that anchorage for nearly a week and met some great people and enjoyed our hourly swims during the heat of the day. After fully exploring Malaque we pulled up our anchor and went South 25 miles to Manzanillo. On our way down we had to dodge a number of long lines for fishing. Long lines are about a mile or two long, poorly marked  lines with a baited hook about every 3 or 6 feet. They are very hard to see and are marked by a black trash bag on a 3 foot high floating pole at one end, "sometimes". The long line is held up by 2-liter pop bottles about every 100 yards or so, and most of the bottles are clear, so seeing them far enough in advance is nearly impossible. If it had been during the night we would have to maintain nearly a 4 or 5 miles off-shore clearance. We were greated to Manzanillo by lots of dolphins which is always a sign of "welcome". We even saw about 20 large turtles sunning themselves on our way down. It is funny to watch them as we get closer to them and surprise them from behind, they can move pretty fast if they need to. Manzanillo is a very large bay with resorts dotting the Northern shoreline and large industrial area in the South.  Manzanillo prides itself on being the famous beach that Bo Dereck walked on during the movie "10". Yes, they are pretty beaches, but mostly not the kind you would want to play on,  the waves do not just roll up towards the shore they jump up and crash, and that makes them quiet dangerous.  Anchored out in front of Las Hadas Resort makes us feel like we are in the Med, with beautiful white condos terraced up the steep hills. We have been here nearly two weeks and just loving it here enough to know that we will probably stay here another week. The water is very clear and teaming with wonderfully colorful tropical fish, sprinkle in a few turtles, puffer fish and a very protected anchorage this seems like the paradise we would only dream about. The swimming and snorkling right beside our boat is wonderful, the water is tranquil and warm. The little city of Santiago is only a $4.00 Taxi ride away, or we can take the bus that comes by every 20 minutes for 5 pesos each, that's about 45 cents. One way on the main highway takes us to Santiago, and about the same distance the other takes us to two large grocery stores. One of the stores called The Comercial even has a "Costco" section complete with a few of our favorite Kirkland products. The stores are large and modern and a great place to re-provision. Of course like most shopping areas there are the open air markets, and the broasted chickens that we have become very fond of. For $6.00 we get a nice size roasted chicken, new potatoes that are cooked right under the drippings along with tortillas and salsa. We have seen this deal in most stops now for the past couple of months and it is always a family treat. We either eat the chicken right off the bones or strip the meat and make chicken tacos, which seems to be the families favorite. The potatoes are to die for, juicy, and well seasoned. We get to use the pool of the 5-star Las Hadas Resort that we are anchored off of, this is going to be hard to leave and makes us feel like we are truly living in paradise and just the kind of place you would dream of when out sailing. The average daytime temp is 85 degrees and the water temperature is 82 degrees. After being here it amazes us that anyone would ever want to go to busy crowded places like Cancun, Puerto Vallarta, Mazatlan, etc. What a well kept secret this is. We have heard that the rooms run about $250.00 per night, so that does make it very expensive, but what a place to  enjoy, relax and explore. The kids got a big kick out of a motor yacht that was anchored here along with the helicopter on it's own pad. We are anchored here along with about 12 other sailboats, the days are full of visiting, swimming, shopping, movies on each others boats and board games. There are a number of small stores that sell pirated movies that are just beginning to play in the States. Some of them lack in quality, but are actually pretty good, once in a while you will see "Property of MGM" across the screen for a few seconds.  It would appear that there just isn't any kind of laws against it here and they come out of Bejing China. Well this will be our furthest South destination, after another week here we will start heading back North and check out the many anchorages that we missed coming this far South. As Spring approaches we want to be up in the Sea Of Cortez.

barra to manzanillo 001.pngbarra to manzanillo 009.pngbarra to manzanillo 021.pngbarra to manzanillo 029.png

125 pound Tuna !                      Le French Baker At Your Boat        Tube Sock Stockings    Liberty W/Christmas Lights On

barra to manzanillo 023.pngbarra to manzanillo 027.pngbarra to manzanillo 028.pngbarra to manzanillo 038.png

Christmas Morning                Randy and Jackie Cracking A Coconut      Christmas Carols            Gaucho Loves Candy

barra to manzanillo 041.pngbarra to manzanillo 048.pngbarra to manzanillo 062.pngbarra to manzanillo 070.png

Dinghy Dock In Navidad      At Anchor In The Navidad Lagoon     Pancakes For All             Kyle's 12th B-Day Cookie

barra to manzanillo 075.pngbarra to manzanillo 078.pngbarra to manzanillo 080.pngbarra to manzanillo 0851.png

Turtle Beside Our Boat   We Dont Need No Stinking Refrigeration      Wheres Kyle?                     150 Foot  Boy Toys 

barra to manzanillo 086.pngbarra to manzanillo 093.pngbarra to manzanillo 107.pnglas hadas 001.png

To Our Starboard                        Puffer Fish W/Deflated Ego              $15.00 of Fun                        Las Hadas Resort


Home Page | About Us | Contact Us | Services | Site Map | Road Trip South | Mexico 2007 / 2008 | Mexico To Samoa 2008

Starfield Technologies, Inc.